What is a Live Catalog Market?
A Good News Goods Live Catalog Market is a shopping event hosted at your church. Church and community members choose from a large display of Fair Trade products, place orders at the market, and have products shipped directly to their homes. Markets are a convenient and fun way to positively impact the world with your wallet!
Good News Goods and our partners at Trade as One have developed a sustainable model that allows for a smooth market experience and eliminates many of the stresses and resource drains.
How does a Live Catalog Market work?
- Shoppers browse the live “catalog” display of Fair Trade products, fill out personal order forms with selected products, and turn those order forms into volunteers when they have completed their shopping. No money is exchanged at the market, except for cash or check purchases of the Good News Goods tote bag (available only at the market, not online).
- Volunteers will in-put order forms into a website which will create an online shopping cart for each individual shopper. (Software and training are provided)
- Within 24 hours, each shopper will receive an email with a personal message from the pastor, along with a link to their personal shopping cart. The link will take them to our supplier’s website, where shoppers can add or delete products from their carts, complete their orders online, & have items shipped directly to their home address. (Shipping takes about one week. Accomodations can also be made for phone orders, but the shipping process will take longer.)
Is there a fee?
Yes, there is a flat rate fee of $400 that includes the cost of shipping and handling, as well as funds to replace any damaged or stolen display items. We are happy to work with churches who may need assistance with the market fee, however you must let us know in advance of the market if this is the case.
What do we need to provide for our Live Catalog Market?
Good News Goods will provide downloadable resource materials, ship the display products to your church, train volunteers as needed, provide jewelry display and signage, and help with set up & facilitation.
Each church is responsible for providing the following:
- 2 computers with internet access for in-putting orders (desktop or laptop)
- Eight large tables & table clothes
- Decorative items for display such as hat stands, coat trees to hang bags & purses, various sized baskets, vases, mirrors, lights, candles, table runners, stools, etc. (These can be collected from volunteers’ homes, or gathered from church resources)
View the Market Photo Gallery for ideas on decorating a marketplace.
Can our church do a Live Catalog Market any time of year?
Of course! Please confirm any dates with the Good News Goods Coordinator.
What do we need to do to get started?
- Contact Us to set a date
- Download necessary printable materials and videos from the Fair Trade Market Resource Page. (This is a password protected page. We will make sure you receive the password.)
- Recruit a team of at least 10 volunteers to help with setting-up, running the market, breaking-down, and in-putting orders. A 30 minute volunteer training session will need to be scheduled prior to the market date.